- A stye is a painful eye infection resulting from clogged eyelash follicles and eyelid glands.
- Wearing contact lenses with a stye may spread infection.
- Treating a stye at home is easy and should help resolve symptoms in a few days.
Contact lenses, eye wish, eyelid hygiene, eye infection, sty, warm compress
Taking the First Step
first, know that styes are typically not vision-threatening, though they can be uncomfortable.
In most cases, a sty will resolve on its own. You can treat symptoms at base, but may need to visit an eye doctor of the church ( optometrist or ophthalmologist ) if the eyelid bulge affects your vision.¹ While some people are more prone to styes than others, you can take steps in your casual eye wish routine to avoid getting a sty. It ’ south authoritative to know what a sty is and the difference between a sty and a chalazion, and whether or not you should avoid contact lenses when you have a sty.
Receive exclusive offers about eye health and health, courses, and more !
What is a Stye?
A sty ( besides referred to as a sty, sometimes spelled “ sty ” ) is a painful red dislodge on or inside your eyelid.¹ In addition to a find and annoyance, symptoms include eyelid swell, feeling like something is in your eye ( foreign body sensation ) and watery eyes.¹ Some people besides experience light sensitivity.¹ If you ’ rhenium always in doubt or concerned about your symptoms, see your eye sophisticate immediately .
Know the Difference: Two Types of Styes
There are unlike causes for external and internal styes. external styes are more common than internal styes and tend to be less severe.¹
An external sty forms at the base of your lash due to a bacterial infection in the eyelash hair follicle. The bacteria staphylococcus aureus ( staphylococcus ) typically causes the contagion. This type of sty may resemble a pimple.¹ People who wear eye constitution, like mascara and eyeliner, may experience an external sty if you don ’ thyroxine remove eye makeup entirely. Using expired makeup, or using makeup of person who has an eye infection, can besides lead to the development of a sty .
Internal styes develop inside your eyelid. The oil glands ( called meibomian glands ) that produce oil in your eyelids can get backed up, leading to an internal stye.¹ People with certain eye conditions, like blepharitis, develop styes because the condition results from inflammation in the meibomian glands.¹ Blepharitis symptoms besides include dry eyes, itching and crusted eyelids.² It is a common condition among people who have dandruff, acne rosacea and some forms of dermatitis.²
Difference Between a Stye and Chalazion
You will notice a blow on your eyelid in both a chalazion and a sty. Like styes, clogged oil glands cause chalazia.¹ The most meaning difference between a sty and a chalazion is that a sty is very atrocious and a chalazion is typically not associated with pain.¹ You can think of a chalazion as a sty that is not inflamed ( yet ). A chalazion can lead to a sty if it becomes infect or inflamed.¹ While styes can make the stallion eyelid swell, a chalazion normally occurs on one separate of the eyelid.¹ The treatment for both a sty and chalazion is exchangeable unless they affect your vision.
Chat, contribution, and teach from our doctors, coaches and others like yourself
👩⚕️ Get answers!
Because styes result from infection, it is best to avoid wearing reach lenses until your eyelid heals. Whether you wear hard ( rigid gas permeable ) or soft ( daily disposables or extended tire lenses ), you should avoid wearing them.³ For cushy lenses, it ’ sulfur best to throw aside your stream set up of lenses and start with a fresh pair after your contagion clears. For hard contact lenses, be certain to properly cleanse the lens with a scavenge solution and disinfect your lawsuit. You may find that avoiding contacts is more comfortable even if you precisely have a chalazion, but it is safe to wear them with a chalazion.³
Treating a Stye at Home
Most styes will resolve on their own within a few days. You can get relief and prevent infection from spreading by following these steps : ⁴
- Use a warm compress 3-5 times per day. You can make a warm compress at home using warm water and a washcloth. For a solution that doesn’t require heating, CorneaCare’s Rest warm compress. This warm compress doesn’t require a microwave, comes individually wrapped and will stay warm for up to 30 minutes, gently helping to loosen the clogged oil in your eyelids.
- Use eyelid wipes or cleanser to keep the eyelids clean. This is a good daily habit to practice even when the stye clears up. CorneaCare’s Rise eyelid wipes are a great way to refresh and cleanse the eyelids while moisturizing the skin around the eyes.
- Do not touch the swollen area of your eye, or try to pop the stye.
- Avoid wearing eye makeup until the infection is gone.
- Wash your hands often.
- You may find that using a cold compress throughout the day soothes your eyes. The CorneaCare Rescue hydrogel cold compress mask is convenient and does not require refrigeration.
Eyelid Hygiene Plan 3
Perfect for eye dispassion, burn, itching, grittiness, crusting/flaking of eyelashes and inflamed/swollen eyelids. free transportation 📦.
Try today – $60
The best thing you can do to keep your eyes safe from center infections like styes is to follow casual eyelid hygiene .⁴
- Remove face and eye makeup before going to bed at night with a gentle cleanser. If you don’t wear makeup, still ensure you wash your face before bed.
- Use eyelid wipes in the morning to remove any buildup from the night.
- Use a warm compress nightly before bed.
- Wash your hands often.
- Don’t share eye makeup with anyone.
- Discard expired or contaminated eye makeup.
When At Home Treatment Isn’t Enough
In rare cases, the infection can spread, causing your eyelids to swell even more and interfere with vision.
Call your eye sophisticate if your symptoms get worse or do not improve after a few days. Your center doctor may prescribe antibiotic eye drops to treat the infection, or a steroid shoot to reduce hard swelling.¹
Putting It All Together
Anyone who gets sty knows how irritating they are. It ’ second hard to perform daily tasks while you are in pain, and you may have to cancel fun plans to take care of your eye. While your sty is healing, it ’ south best to avoid anything in or near your eye, including contacts and eye constitution. Like most common eye conditions, the best way to prevent styes and chalazia is to practice daily eyelid hygiene. Care for your eyes like you do the rest of your body and continue to thrive in your daily biography !
Receive single offers about eye health and health, courses, and more !
Learn the dispute between pink eye ( conjunctivitis ) and a sty. To learn other times when you should avoid wearing contact lenses, read this Eye Health and Wellness article .