How to get kids to wear glasses
By Allie Johnson
Not all kids are excited about wearing glasses
It ’ s a common concern for many parents who learn that their child has myopia : how will I get my kyd to wear glasses ? While some kids may adapt promptly to glasses, others need more meter. Kids may balk at wearing glasses for versatile reasons, such as : getting used to the feel of glasses, having an issue with fit or worrying about how glasses will look. The good news is there are ways to get kids of all ages to wear glasses that can make the passage easier for you and your child.
How to get kids to wear glasses by age
The best ways to get kids to wear corrective eyewear change based on the age of the child. The manner to get a baby or toddler to wear glasses may be quite different from the way you convince a sixth-grader that glasses can be cool .
How to get a baby to wear glasses
How do you get a baby to wear glasses ? An baby who has been diagnosed with myopia or another sight emergence will need to get used to the palpate of glasses. Start by putting the glasses on your baby and then playing a promptly bet on or pulling out a fun toy dog. This way you distract your pamper and make the know fun. Your baby may besides need a glasses strap to help keep their glasses in target ( see below ). SEE RELATED : Signs that your baby needs glasses
How to get a toddler to wear glasses
motivation to get your 1-year-old, 2-year-old or 3-year-old to wear glasses ? Try to have a positive position when you put on their glasses. Point out your child ’ s darling book and movie characters who wear glasses. Ask if they can name any early cool characters who wear glasses. Make a job chart and give your kid a headliner or playfulness spine when they wear their glasses all day or as prescribed. SEE RELATED : 16 best children ‘s books about wearing glasses
How to get a young child to wear glasses
If you have a preschooler, preschooler or elementary school aged child, start by letting them pick out frames they love. Kids of this historic period may be drawn to frames in fun colors and shapes with cool details like polka dots, sparkles or bows. Make putting on glasses character of their good morning act. Consider using a hebdomadally points chart with which your child earns points each time they put on their glasses on their own or wear them all day. At the end of the week, let your child trade in points for rewards like a later bedtime or a modern dally. SEE RELATED: How to talk to your kids about myopia
Helping children of all ages adjust to glasses
What if your child says their new glasses are blurry or they see adept without their glasses ? This is normal at first because your child ’ south eyes are used to working hard to see clearly. Be affected role : It can take three months or thus for a child to adjust to their new glasses. here are some tips for helping kids, from young children to tweens or teens, get used to wearing glasses :
- Be positive. Start by talking about getting glasses in an wellbeing manner. Ask what kind of glasses they want, and browse frames in aplomb colors and designs with your child .
- Pick the right glasses. Get help from your eye care professional in choosing a copulate of glasses that are the right size and fit. Discomfort and poor people equip are top reasons kids don ’ t want to wear glasses.
- Talk about the benefits. Make a point of talking to your child about the upsides of wearing glasses. Point out how much better they can see, learn and do their favored activities with clearer imagination thanks to glasses .
- Be a good listener. If your child doesn ’ metric ton want to wear glasses, ask why and listen to the answer. Have a candid chat about their concerns, and try to reassure them or come up with solutions together .
- Consider an alternative. What if your child has gone through the adaptation time period and distillery doesn ’ thymine like wearing glasses ? You may want to talk to your child ’ s eye doctor about alternatives such as reach lenses. many kids can wear contact lenses with no problem .
How to keep children’s glasses on
It can be a challenge to keep glasses on kids, specially babies, toddlers and preschoolers. There are things you can do to keep your child ’ s glasses from falling off their face. For exercise, the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus suggests :
- Glasses straps for kids – Glasses straps can keep children ’ second glasses on comfortably and securely. They besides come in many colors, designs and materials that may appeal to kids. You can even buy glasses straps for kids printed with cartoon characters .
- Ear grips for kids – Ear grips or hooks, besides called silicone synagogue tips, slide onto the arms ( temples ) of the glasses. They sit just behind the ears and keep the glasses from sliding forward and falling off .
Both of these solutions offer an slowly and low-cost way to keep kids ’ glasses on. They come in different colors and typically cost less than $ 10. You can try one or both solutions to see if they work for your child .
Kids wearing glasses for the first time
fair like anything else new, your child will need time to get used to wearing glasses. spill with your child ’ sulfur eye doctor about the best way to help kids wear glasses for the inaugural time. You may want to start out by trying to get your child to wear their glasses all the time. If they need shortstop breaks from wearing glasses, let them take a “ glasses break ” in their room. The goal will be to get your child used to wearing their glasses fully time. But some kids do need to work up to that when wear glasses for the first fourth dimension .
Eye drops to help kids adjust to glasses
If your kid needs extra aid getting used to glasses, their eye doctor may prescribe eye drops that help children adjust to glasses. The music, atropine, relaxes the eye and makes sight a bit more bleary without glasses. Atropine may come in a bottle with a dropper in liquid form or as a tube of ointment. Your child may be a little more sensitive to light while using atropine. In that case, try putting them in sunglasses or a hat with a wide brim when outdoors .
When your child refuses to wear glasses
If your child refuses to wear glasses, you may wonder what to do. It is not rare for parents to ask eye doctors, “ How do I convince my child to wear glasses ? ” And, “ Should I force my child to wear glasses ? ” Or even, “ Will my child ‘s eyesight contract worse if he does n’t wear his prescription drug glasses ? “
If you ’ ve test different tips and tricks and your child still won ’ thyroxine tire glasses, it ’ sulfur meter to head back to the eye doctor. And it ’ s a good theme to choose an ocular denounce with know working with children. The eye doctor of the church can make certain that your child has the correct prescription drug, that their glasses are comfortable and fit well, and that all their vision issues have been diagnosed. READ NEXT: 5 ways to boost your child ’ second assurance with new glasses
Category : Fashion