What is a dobutamine stress echocardiogram?
An echocardiogram ( echo ) is a test used to assess the affection ‘s affair and structures. A tension echocardiogram is a test done to assess how well the heart works under stress. The “ stress ” can be triggered by either exercise on a treadmill or a medicine called dobutamine .
A dobutamine stress echocardiogram ( DSE ) may be used if you are ineffective to exercise. Dobutamine is put in a vein and causes the heart to beat faster. It mimics the effects of use on the kernel .
During an echo, a transducer ( like a microphone ) sends out supersonic heavy waves at a frequency besides high to be heard. When the transducer is placed on the breast at certain locations and angles, the supersonic sound waves move through the hide and other body tissues to the heart tissues, where the waves bounce or “ resound ” off of the heart structures. The transducer picks up the reflected waves and sends them to a computer. The computer displays the echoes as images of the heart walls and valves .
A DSE may involve one or more of these particular types of echocardiograms :
Reading: Dobutamine Stress Echocardiogram
- M-mode echocardiogram. This is the simplest type of echocardiogram. It produces an persona that is alike to a tracing rather than an actual painting of heart structures. M-mode echo is utilitarian for measuring heart structures, such as the heart ‘s pump chambers, the size of the heart itself, and the thickness of the affection walls.
- Doppler echocardiogram. This technique is used to measure and assess the flow of rake through the kernel ‘s chambers and valves. The amount of blood pumped out with each pulsate is a sign of how well the heart is working. besides, Doppler can detect abnormal lineage flow within the heart, which can mean there is a problem with one or more of the heart ‘s valves or with the heart ‘s walls.
- Color Doppler. Color Doppler is an enhance phase of a Doppler echocardiogram. With color Doppler, different colors are used to show the direction of blood menstruate .
- 2-D (two-dimensional) echocardiogram. This technique is used to see the actual structures and gesture of the heart structures. A 2-D repeat view looks conic on the monitor, and the real-time motion of the heart ‘s structures can be seen. This allows the doctor to see the diverse heart structures at work and evaluate them .
- 3-D (three-dimensional) echocardiogram. three-d echo proficiency captures three-d views of the heart structures with greater depth than 2-D echo. The live or “ real time ” images allow for a more accurate appraisal of heart function by using measurements taken while the affection is beating. three-d echo shows enhanced views of the heart ‘s anatomy and can be used to determine best treatment plan .