note that this international relations and security network ’ triiodothyronine advice on how to dress to get out of jury duty. We ’ ra assuming here that you want to participate in the legal process. 🙂
Dress for Comfort and Branding
You have two major goals when building your jury duty outfits :
- Comfort. You’ll be sitting around in uncomfortable chairs most of the day, possibly working on a laptop in your downtime.
- Personal branding. Personal branding is important when you step into any large crowd. Depending on where you are in life, you may benefit from networking with other jurors. Or you may meet some people who share your interests. But most of all, if you do get placed on a jury, you’ll want to present yourself as stable and put-together. This is a subtle strategy to help you communicate your opinions firmly when the time comes.
Be prepared to see many of your fellow prospective jurors in all ranges of dress, from shorts to power suits. Don ’ metric ton concern about them, particularly the super-casual ones. Unless you wear a conventional gown, you ’ re not going to be overdressed.
What to Wear to Jury Duty: The Formula
Layering is the perfect scheme for jury duty fashion, because you don ’ thymine know if it ’ south hot or coldness in the courthouse. And, you ’ ll want to layer so that the end leave is on the dressy side of business casual. sol, in general, your ideal jury duty equip will consist of :
- Light outerwear: a knit blazer, light jacket or cardigan
- No-wrinkle top: light sweater, rayon or microfiber blouse
- Trousers: narrow-fit styles are better than wide-legged trousers. Avoid skirts for comfort purposes.
- Closed-toed shoes: flats or small heels are best
- Big tote to carry your laptop, lunch and other essentials
A few words on accessories : some courthouses have metallic element detectors which may require you to remove jewelry temporarily. I always end up losing things that way, so it ’ s easier to keep the jewelry lighter. You can always accessorize with a scarf alternatively .
Jury Duty Outfit Inspiration
Your mission is to find pieces like the ones below in your own water closet, or in a friend ’ s wardrobe. You do not want to build a whole modern wardrobe merely for jury duty — peculiarly because you may only be there for one day .
BCBG Generation Peplum Knit Blazer, $29.97, SouthMoonUnderStyle & Co. Ribbed Duster, $34.75, Macys.com
When in doubt, wear the basics .
Slim Fit Notch Neck Essentia Shirt, $49.90, ExpressMixed Media Shell, $39.50, LOFT
Skinny Hi-Rise Ankle Pants, $39.99, GAPPonte Slim-Leg Pants, $29.99, Macys.com What do you think ? Do you feel ready to be the best-dressed gal in the courthouse ? Let us know in the comments .