Photo by Mike Freas/Florida Keys News Bureau
Halloween may not come to mind when you think identify West, but America ’ s southernmost point amps it up during Fantasy Fest, a 10-day, no-holds-barred party filled with costumes, torso rouge, drinking, dance, life love and skin aplenty. The celebration — themed “ Time Travel Unravels ” for 2017 — goes down Friday, October 20 through Sunday, October 29. Come disposed — that is, with costumes and without inhibitions. To help you plan, here are 10 things to know and do for Fantasy Fest 2017 in Key West .photo by larry blackburn
1. Come one, come all. Key West lives by its official motto “ One Human Family ” and welcomes everyone to come party regardless of age, gender, race and predilection. The overall rule of ovolo : It ’ s a illusion, then treat it that way .photo by Larry Blackburn
2. Clothing is optional; costumes are not. There is a carefree, clothing-optional intent in Key West. however, for Fantasy Fest you ’ ll wear costumes every day, and people take them very, very, identical seriously. Do not slack off, these aren ’ t your I-slapped-something-together-last-night-and-added-a-boa costumes. Think of them as expressions of your hopes and dreams, conveyed in wigs and torso glitter .photo by JoeSwickFoto
3. Expose yourself. Head to the Bourbon Street Pub on Thursday, October 26 to find a pool, hot bathtub, foam, DJs, exotic dancers, gleam sticks and big screens broadcasting illusion scenes to set the climate for the Exxxposed nightlong. Don ’ thymine know what to wear ? Let ’ s just say that you need not worry about that here .photo by newman pr
4. Get your parade on. The key signature Bud Light Fantasy Fest Parade on Saturday, October 28 heads up the celebrated Duval Street and features pimped-out floats, excessive costumes and fabulous performances. It ’ s like a Super Bowl parade. Except everybody wins at Fantasy Fest .photo by JoeSwickFoto
5. Don’t be a drag. I can not emphasize this adequate : 801 Girls Cabaret is an absolute must-do. The twice-nightly drag shows end up being different every time the ladies take the degree, then consider hitting it up a few times while you ’ re on the island. ad
photo by JoeSwickFoto
6. Toga! Toga! Toga! This one is for the boys merely. Head over to the Equator Resort for the annual toga party on Thursday, October 26 that crowns the most original toga, the most reveal toga, and the biggest extremity ( yes, you read that right. ) The hotel owner is proud of this established celebration, which marries two LGBT priorities : charity and good times. ( One hundred percentage of the proceeds benefit MARC House )Photo by JoeSwickFoto
7. March to the beat of your own drum. On Friday, October 27 join the locals in the Masquerade March, besides known as the People ’ sulfur Parade, as costume marchers make their manner through Old Town to the tune of music and noisemakers. Join at any point along the route ( step-off is at the Key West Cemetery ), and take drink breaks at participating guesthouses along the way. just be warned, there are thus many participants that there are two separate routes. You ’ ll want to take the one that heads down Fleming Street to hit the gay guesthouses .(photo by Rob O’Neal/Florida Keys News Bureau)
8. Sunset. Snap. Share. Sunset is a big deal in Key West, and everybody seems to know precisely what time it happens. Follow the push to Mallory Square to snap that inspiring and jealousy-generating Instagram travel photograph. Don ’ triiodothyronine worry, you will look amazing in the alight of the rig sun . 9. Do brunch. You ’ ll probably need to soak up the remainder beverages floating about in your system from the previous night. There ’ s no dearth of spots to try : Blue Heaven, Cuban Coffee Queen, Schooner Wharf Bar, or go all out lunch at the far-out B.O. ‘s fish Wagon for some fresh seafood and cold beer. Be sure to leave room for key lime pie at Kermit ’ s .(photo by jim werner for fagabond.com)
10. Make it a vacation. Take a few supernumerary days to make it a real vacation. As you can imagine, the Keys boast tons of options for watersports ( not that kind ). however you choose to enjoy the urine, make certain you check out the coral reef ( the lone living reef off the mainland ). On bring, walking or biking makes arrant day activities.
Read more : Bra sizes balloon: Blame obesity!
No matter when you go to Key West , plan and book your gay vacation on fagabond.com .